Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Farm Fresh Spaghetti Squash


I love to cook, but I don't always like following recipes (okay, I hardly ever follow a recipe). Garlic, olive oil and herbs from my garden are my friends. The selection of fresh vegetables at the farmer's market can be limiting here in Maryland, but there are some things you can count on, like squash in the fall. Last Sunday I stopped by my local roadside farmstand and picked up some goodies, including this spaghetti squash.


Last night, I decided it was time to cook my first squash of the season. The squash cooking coincided with my sage plant going crazy, so I decided I wanted to do something with sauteed garlic and sage. I put about 2 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat, and sauteed 3 large garlic cloves for a few minutes. I then added lots of minced sage (at least a dozen sage leaves) and cooked for a couple more minutes. Finally I mixed it in to the cooked and scooped spaghetti squash, along with a small pat of butter and some grated Pecorino and sprinkled some sea salt. For a final touch, I sprinkled more cut sage and a hearty sprinkling Pecorino on the squash - once it had been plated. It turned out to be so delicious, but so simple. My favorite kind of dish.

No comments: